Redacción Tokio | 07/11/2022
Are you fascinated by informatics? Then you’ll be interested in knowing what is the classification of programming languages and the main characteristics for each. Keep reading and we’ll explain, in a simple manner, everything you need to understand the basis of how website and app design work. Join our programming courses!
At Tokyo School, we’re experts in this discipline, so that we offer several programming courses. If you’re thinking about getting specialized training and want to discover the program that best adapts to your needs, we invite you to fill in the form. We can help you for free… And it will help you achieve your goals!
What are programming languages?
If we approach the issue from a strict definition of what programming languages are we could say it’s a set of symbols and codes that, used within a series of norms, conform the structures of webs and applications.
Programming languages can be defined as the used language so that computers and other devices can execute a series of specific tasks.
Besides, there’s a classification of programming languages that we’re going to go through and develop a bit further down this article. Before that, let’s see some of the ways programming languages are used.
What programming languages are for
Being proficient at programming languages will allow you to become a specialist in executing a number of activities:
- Program and mobile and web application development in the different software options
- Developing Artificial Intelligence applications
- Development of databases, essential for the correct management of big corporate entities
- Videogame development for different devices or platforms
- Development of hardware controllers and interfaces
- Script development
Types of programming languages according to different levels
Before getting an in-depth look at specific types of programming languages, we must establish the classification of programming languages according to the two criteria considered today. This is why we’re going to tell you about how programming languages are classified today. Currently, the following programing languages list is contemplated:
Low-level programming languages
Within the different levels of programming languages, those framed within this group are directly linked to machines. Thus, this would be the “language” able to link hardware and software. If you’re not familiar with the informatics jargon, you might feel lost among all these different terms and concepts.
Don’t worry about it, courses teaching programming languages start at the very basics of them, in order to begin your training as a specialist. The following are the two programming languages at a lower level:
- Machine language: the famous binary code where 0s and 1s are used. Only computers can decipher this code
- Assembly language: this is the first approximation to the one used by humans, but which is also understood by machines. Depending on the type of computer or machine, transforming the assembly language into machine language is likely needed for a correct functioning.
High-level programming language
This type of programming languages is easier to understand for humans, as it’s written in known languages, including English, Spanish, French, etc. You might wonder if machines understand our languages? They don’t, but we use translators or compilators so that they can understand us.
High-level programming languages: the most popular
There is an extensive programming languages list for its classification, but if you wish to become a professional in programming, you better choose one of the most popular or standardized programming languages. The following are the ones that stand out:
- Java: this programming language was created in 1995 by Sun Microsystems. Many websites and applications wouldn’t work without having Java installed. Java is used to create interactive elements in websites. It works together with other programming codes such as HTML and CSS. If you’re interested in informatics, you must without a doubt be proficient in Java.
- Go: this is a programming language developed by Google. It’s been designed to implement tasks that need the minimum user interaction.
- Ruby on Rails: this programming language is open code and has been used to develop important applications such as Twitter, Basecamp or Hulu, among others.
- Python: it’s mainly used for the development of Artificial Intelligence and applications focusing on massive data analysis. Python represents a multiplatform language, highly focused on code readability.
- C: this is the second most used programming language in the world. It’s very useful, as it can be employed across the majority of operative systems
- C++: this programming language allows both high-level and low-level programming. It’s perfect to adjust to different projects.
- C#: also known as C Sharp, it’s an evolution of C and C++ codes. It’s mainly used for programming objects.
- SQL: it allows for the interaction with a database
- PHP: this is an interpreted programming language used for the dynamic generation of websites. In order to work, it’s embedded within HTML code.
- Swift: as part of this programming languages list, Swift is focused on the development of iOs and MacOs applications. In other words, it’s part of the Apple universe.
Programming languages: the types of software
As an aspiring expert in programming languages, you’ll need the help of some programming software in order to write and send tasks to machines. Let’s see the different types:
- Code editors: this involves the use of programs where you can write programming code. These tend to present autocomplete functions to avoid syntactic mistakes and facilitate writing.
- Compilators: they are in charge of translating text to the machine language, so that your computer understands the sent orders.
- Depurators: these are in charge of reviewing and correcting mistakes in the writing of source code for a website or application.
- Linkers: these programs compile all necessary resources at libraries, but are also able to identify the processes and data that are not needed.
Get trained with us to become an expert in programming languages
Now you know how programming languages are classified as we’ve outlined the programming languages list above.
Getting professional training in the development of web applications increases your chances of getting a good job position. This is why at Tokyo School we’d like to offer you our programming courses. This is an increasingly demanded skill that will allow you to undertake many of the activities undertaken by programmers.
If you get in touch through the contact form below, we’ll solve all your doubts so that you can choose the one that better fits your interests. These are all the programming languages courses available at our school:
- Master’s in Videogame programming with Unreal Engine
- Master’s in SAP S74 Hana Compras Consulting and Material Management (MM)
- Videogames and Virtual Reality
- Mobile apps programming with Swift
- Mobile apps programming with Android
- Python programming course with an specialization in Artificial Intelligence
- Java programming. OCP
- Python programming course
Choose the course you prefer! We cannot wait to meet you at Tokyo School